Financial Aid FAQs

What are the steps I have to take to apply for financial aid?

  1. For any type of federal aid, including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at here.
  2. If you desire a Stafford Direct Student loan:
    1. Complete the SLCC Loan Request Form.
    2. Complete the Master Promissory Note (you can do this online here.
    3. Complete Loan Entrance Counseling online at here.

Do I need any cash to start classes?

  • If you have sufficient financial aid, you will not need any cash at the time you begin classes. If you have enough financial aid to cover books, your books can be added to your school account also.

    If you don't have sufficient financial aid to cover your entire bill, then you will need to pay the remainder at the time of registration.

Why do I have to provide my parent's information?

  • There are some yes/no questions on the FAFSA that determine your dependency status. Even if you are self supporting, you are considered a dependent of your parents unless one of the following conditions is met:
    • You are 24 years old before January 1 of the year you are applying for financial aid.
    • You are an orphan or were a ward of the court until age 18.
    • You are a veteran.
    • You are a graduate student.
    • You are married.
    • You have a child or dependents (other than children or spouse) who receives more than half of their support from you.
    • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.

I already filed the FAFSA but did not list SLCC as one of my schools

  • You can make a correction online and add our school code. Click the link here and select the link "Add or Delete a School Code." SLCC’s FAFSA code is 012580.

My parent refuses to sign the FAFSA or submit FAFSA information

  • If there are unusual circumstances, such as abuse, abandonment, etc., the Financial Aid Office may be able to do a dependency override if you provide sufficient documentation. Contact the Financial Aid Office to request a Dependency Override form if this is the case. If circumstances do not warrant a dependency override, there are provisions in which a student whose parents refuse to cooperate in completing the FAFSA may be able to receive an unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

What determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) when I file my FAFSA?

  • Family income is one factor, but not the only one. Family size, number in college, untaxed income, assets, etc. are also taken into consideration. The student’s own income and assets are assessed more heavily than the parents’.

My family’s financial situation has changed since we reported on the FAFSA

  • The Financial Aid Office may be able to do an income adjustment based on the current situation. Request an Income Adjustment Form from the Financial Aid Office.

Is my stepparent required to supply his or her information on the FAFSA?

  • Yes. Even if your stepparent has not adopted you, the custodial parents are both required to submit their information on the FAFSA.

Do I need to include my spouse's income on my FAFSA?

  • Yes. When asked for income and taxes paid and other tax items, you must total the amounts from both incomes.

My parents are divorced. Whose information do I report on the FAFSA?

  • Only the custodial parent (parent with whom the child lives) is required to supply the necessary financial information. If the other parent furnishes child support, it will be reported on the FAFSA also.

What if my parents’ tax return has not been completed when I file the FAFSA?

  • You may use an estimate to file the FAFSA; however, your FAFSA will probably be selected for verification, and you will have to provide complete federal income tax information before actual awards will be made.

What does it mean if I am selected for a process called Verification?

  • SLCC’s Financial Aid Office is required to obtain certain documents from students selected for verification. These consist of a completed Verification Worksheet and possibly other documents. You will be notified if these documents must be provided.

Can I obtain a job on campus?

  • Funding for jobs on campus is limited; jobs are assigned primarily to returning students who have demonstrated competence and dependability the previous year. Freshmen generally will not be assigned paid jobs on campus. 

If my Pell Grant and Stafford loan are not sufficient, what else is available?

  • You may want to consider a Parent PLUS Loan (parents of undergraduate students only). The parent must apply and be approved; if the parent is not approved due to a faulty credit rating, the student may be able to receive an additional $4,000 a year in unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Proof of denial must be received by the Financial Aid Office. If your parent does not wish to apply for a PLUS loan, you might want consider an Alternative (private) educational loan. More information about PLUS and alternative loans are on the SLCC Loan Request Form. An alternative loan should be a loan of last resort, since terms and conditions are not as favorable as for the Federal Stafford and PLUS loans.

What determines transfer student grade level for Stafford Loan purposes?

  • Once your admissions file is complete, the Registrar will evaluate your previous transcripts depending on what your intended degree program will be and determine how many of your credits are accepted for transfer to that program. The number of credits accepted will determine your grade level for loan purposes.

After applying for financial aid, what do I do next?

  • Once you have completed all the proper paperwork needed for financial aid, you will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter in the mail. This letter will indicate the aid that has been awarded. Review the award letter for accuracy and to make sure your financial aid is sufficient to cover your costs. Read all of the accompanying material to make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your financial aid. You do not need to sign and return the award letter unless you reject one or more of the awards.


Don't want to miss our interesting news and updates! Make sure to join our newsletter list.

Contact us

Do you have a question about SLCC, or do you want some more information?

Connect with us