Financial Aid and Scholarships

To be considered for any type of financial aid, students must first submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.

Federal Programs

A number of federal programs are available:

Pell Grant
Maximum Pell Grant for 2017-2018 is $5,920 per year. Minimum amount is $296 per year.
Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
This grant is for students demonstrating exceptional need. Average award is $400. Priority deadline for consideration is June 15 for students beginning in the fall, and November 15 for students beginning in the spring.  Awards are made until funds are depleted.
Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)
FWS is a federally funded program which enables students to work part time on campus. Pay starts at minimum wage. Jobs are limited and preference is given to upperclassmen.
Stafford Loan Program
This is a government-sponsored loan for students enrolled at least half time during the semester. Repayment begins six months after the student terminates college enrollment or is no longer at least half time. Maximum amount for freshmen is $3,500; sophomores, $4,500; juniors and seniors, $5,500. Independent students may be able to borrow between $4,000 and $5,000 a year in unsubsidized loans, depending upon need and grade classification.
Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
Parents of students may borrow toward their dependents' education. The PLUS program enables parents to borrow an amount equal to the cost of education minus financial aid. Payment of interest and principal begins sixty (60) days after the final disbursement in the year. In addition to base grade level amounts, independent freshman and sophomore students may be able to borrow up to $4,000 and independent junior and senior students may be able to borrow up to $5,000 a year in unsubsidized loans, depending upon need.

Alternative Education Loans

Students whose parents do not wish to apply for a PLUS loan may be eligible to obtain an alternative loan through a private lender.  Students will have to demonstrate credit worthiness or secure a cosigner who is credit worthy.  SLCC does not recommend any particular lender; you can find a lender through an internet search engine under "alternative education loans."  These loans have less favorable rates and terms than the Direct Loan or PLUS Loan.  You should discuss with you financial aid office your eligibility for federal loans before you apply for an alternative loan.

Veteran Benefits

Financial assistance may be available to veterans of the armed forces. Students should apply at their nearest office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. St. Louis Christian College is approved for veterans' educational benefits.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Students with physical disabilities that constitute substantial vocational handicaps may be eligible for grants. These funds are administrated through area offices of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.


Don't want to miss our interesting news and updates! Make sure to join our newsletter list.

Contact us

Do you have a question about SLCC, or do you want some more information?

Connect with us