Satisfactory Academic Progress and Financial Aid

The Department of Education requires a student who is receiving federal financial aid to be making satisfactory academic progress. Satisfactory academic progress is measured both by a student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and by the successful completion of a certain percentage of coursework attempted. Successful completion means credits earned by receiving a grade above F. Satisfactory academic progress will be checked at the end of each semester.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA Requirement)
The CGPA requirement takes into account only courses attempted at SLCC (not transfer credits).
After one semester: must have a 1.75 or better CGPA
After two semesters: must have a 1.85 or better CGPA
After three semesters: must have a 1.95 or better CGPA
After four semesters: must have a 2.0 or better CGPA

Completion Requirement
A student is also expected to make quantitative academic progress towards the completion of his/her degree. The quantitative measure of academic progress consists of two parts. The total hours attempted may be no greater than 150% of the total hours required by the degree program in which the student is enrolled. Transfer credits accepted towards the student’s degree program will count toward this maximum. A change of major does not extend the number of credit hours that may be attempted. The second part involves the completion of at least 67% of the courses attempted. Transfer hours accepted for credit towards the student’s degree program will be counted in this percentage, both in credits attempted and credits completed. Withdrawals affect the completion rate only if a “W” appears on the student’s transcript. If a course is dropped before ever beginning attendance, the course is removed from the student’s record and no “W” appears.
If less than 67% of the courses attempted have been completed, the student will be placed on one semester of financial aid warning. Two consecutive semesters of less than 67% completion will result in loss of financial aid unless the student appeals and the appeal is granted.

A student who loses his financial aid but who feels he or she has circumstances which warrant an exemption to this policy should request an appeal form from the Financial Aid Office or the Academic Dean’s Office and submit the completed form to the Academic Dean. Reasons for acceptable appeal may be (1) serious illness or accident to the student, (2) death or serious illness in the immediate family, (3) other extenuating circumstances. The letter of appeal must include a statement as to (1) why the student failed to make satisfactory progress, and (2) what has changed that will allow the student to make satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation. If the appeal is granted, the student will be notified in writing of the decision, will be placed on probation for one semester and must complete the requirements set by the Academic Dean in order to continue receiving federal financial aid past the probationary semester.